Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Laurie Anderson


This is what the event I went to see with the class reminded me of. I think it was supposed to be a lecture, but it felt a lot more like a performance. It was pretty cool, honestly. I sat near the front row, not too close to the "droolers", and wore a Batman hoodie the whole time. I think at the end Laurie Anderson saw me and gave me a look that was a mix between "what the fuck" and "are you serious?" but I probably saw what I wanted to see. I mean, that's the look I would have given myself.

My favorite part of the event was at the end, when Laurie Anderson said "no one ever asked if I wanted to be a painter, or a musician, or anything specific". I'm paraphrasing, but it was pretty close to that. She then explained that she just likes to do stuff and see what happens. I feel that. You have no idea. That's how I feel about what I do. That's different from how I feel presenting what I make, which I went over in my most recent post about my Fourth Performance Piece.

I hadn't heard of Laurie Anderson until this year in this class, but this event has further solidified her as one of my role models as I move forward in my artistic career. My other role models are, of course, Dan Avidan and Arin Hanson. That's a pretty good mix, I'd say. I don't know what you'd say but, if I was there to hear you, I'd probably have headphones on and be working on a new song. So, I wouldn't hear you. That's too bad... I'm just kidding. Maybe.

One more performance piece and then I'll be getting ready for the live performance night! Then I'll decide if I want to continue posting to this blog. I mean... it's connected to my Google account so I'll always have it. It's just a question of whether I want to continue writing in it.

We'll see. I'm leaning toward keeping it up. Then I'll write about my art projects, like the remix I finished mixing for a competition. More about that later!

No comments:

Post a Comment